Using my tablet as secondary display (with FOSS linux software)
The other day I came upon a github repo with a script that creates a virtual display and use it as second display. I found out this can be done on my swayWM easily by hand.
This is a guide of how to use any device as your second display.
- Create a virtual display
- Start vnc server for that display
- Connect to the vnc server on another device
- (Optional) change relative position
- swayWM, or any wlroots based WM
- any VNC viewer on your secondary device (I use AVNC)
Create a virtual display
On swayWM/wayland, this can be done with
swaymsg -t get_outputs to verify
Start vnc server
For wayland, use wayvnc
wayvnc -o <OUTPUT_NAME>
Connect to the vnc server
Make sure you firewall isn't blocking the ports and enable encryption on public networks.
Change relative position
output <name> position|pos <X> <Y> Places the specified output at the specific position in the global coordinate space.
The man page of sway-output has a nice description.